From Jan/Feb 2009 Clean Eating Magazine: Get that antique family cookie jar out of the back of the cupboard. Cookies no longer have to be relegated to the world of all things tasty but treacherous. Free of the white sugar, high-fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated vegetable oil (translation: trans fat) of popular chewy, store-bought versions, our cookies are clean enough for healthy you, yet luscious enough for your kids.
Olive oil cooking spray
6 oz dark bittersweet chocolate, broken up
3 large egg whites
1 1/2 cup sucanat, divided
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
4 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. Place chocolate in a microwavable bowl and heat on high until chocolate melts, approximately 2 minutes, stirring once halfway through; then set aside to cool slightly.
3. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks; gradually beat in 1 cup sucanat and continue beating until mixture appears creamy; add vanilla.
4. In a separate small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 sucanat, cocoa and arrowroot powder; then beat into egg whites on low speed.
5. Stir in warm chocolate and continue stirring gently until mixture thickens.
6. Place rounded tbsps of batter onto prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Cool on sheet pans for an additional 10 minutes before transferring to racks to cool completely.