We had this Chicken & Vegetable Stew for supper last night, and it was SO good! I found the recipe on cleaneatingmag.com.
Chicken & Vegetable Stew
Nothing says cozy like a hot bowl of chicken stew, and we kick the comforting classic into shape with clean ingredients that pack a whole lot of flavor on a cold, winter’s night.
By Heather Bainbridge, RD | Photo: Joanne Tsakos
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 12-oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 parsnip, cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- Cut chicken into bite-sized cubes. In a bowl, combine flour, pepper, parsley and thyme; then dredge chicken cubes in mixture.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high. Add garlic, onion, celery and chicken cubes and quickly sauté ingredients for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn heat down to medium and pour in broth and pineapple juice. Toss in carrots, beans, parsnip and bay leaves and stir to combine. Cover and simmer on medium high until carrots and parsnips are soft, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve. Store leftovers in refrigerator, covered, for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
Nutrients per 1 1/2-cup serving: Calories: 190, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 18 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 19 g, Sodium: 85 mg, Cholesterol: 40 mg.